Sunday, 6 June 2010

Dunkeld, about 1907

Brae Street, Dunkeld, about 1907

A relaxed view of Brae Street, Dunkeld, about

1907. Dunkeld stands by the River Tay, 15 1/4
miles north north west of Perth. Brae Street leads
up Sunny Brae from the centre of the town. The
original town was destroyed by Highlanders after
the Battle of Killiecrankie in 1689 so that most
of the buildings at the time of the photographs 
dated from the 18th and 19th centuries.

Before the building of Dunkeld Bridge the main

road was down Brae Street and along by the
river to the West Ferry. The street was largely
rebuilt and improved during the first half of the 
19th century, after the building of Dunkeld Bridge
in 1809, by Thomas Telford. The bridge 
connected Birnam and Little Dunkeld with 
the developing settlement at Dunkeld. By the 
early 20th century there was a lemonade factory
on Brae Street, owned by one William Cuthbert.

No comments:

Post a Comment